Design Data Corporation’s Stay Safe Campaign – covering best practices for security.
- Public Wi-Fi may be convenient; however, it can be risky to use. Data can easily be compromised by man-in-the-middle attacks.
- Never conduct banking, shopping and/or entering other sensitive information while on a public network.
- Consider using a VPN, or use your smartphone as a hotspot as a more secure option.
- Keeping your Anti-Virus software up to date with the most recent definitions will prevent, detect, and remove malware from your computer.
- Quick scans should be done daily, and deep scans weekly.
Device and Software Updates
- It is important to keep all software and applications up to date on internet connected devices to reduce the risk of infection from malware.
- Keep your device current by allowing automatic updates and rebooting weekly.
Other things to consider
- When you leave your computer, lock it or log off to prevent unauthorized access.
- If your company does not already have a timeout set for computers, consider setting it on your device.
- Biometrics, examples of which are fingerprint or face recognition, are becoming increasingly popular. If your computer or device has this capability, use it!